Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Last Official Ride Day for 2005

There was a good turnout for the last official ride of 2005 with 13 of us rocking up at the Wharfshed on 10 bikes. It was great to see Ollie come along and even better when he set the agenda for the day with the suggestion of a ride to Apollo Bay for lunch via Forrest and the Otway Ranges.

It was a beautiful day – what more could we want for the last ride of the year. Getting out of Geelong had its usual hazards and the traffic lights were unkind to the few at the back of the group.

But a quick squirt through Ceres and we were back as a group heading into Moriac and well on our way. Approaching Deans Marsh the view of Martians Café and the mention of the word coffee had a couple of the addicts trembling but we persisted and with great strength dragged ourself onward towards Forrest and on through the Otway Ranges to Wye River and Apollo bay.
With the police 4x4 pulled up on the roadside at Forrest the group kept a steady pace through the town and it was lucky as a few of the keen eyed among us spotted a cash camera just out of town.
We descend through the forests of gum trees and tree ferns to the blue/green waters of Bass Straits and everyone looks knackered when we pull up on the roadside. The road down through the Otways is twisty and looks exciting but we found the surface very unpredictable and on some corners dangerous with corrugation and raised bitumen.

Being driven bonkers by flies we quickly remounted and rode into Apollo Bay for a coffee stop & thoughts of Lavers Hill for lunch. The coffee was good and the fags were flowing! Cheryl had to be warned about the influence of the menthol smoking threesome and to be careful they didn’t get her to start smoking too! A spit of rain and a quick decision was made – back to Deans Marsh and our favourite café for lunch – good ole Martians!

The road from Apollo Bay to Lorne is one of the best stretches and especially since they have laid new bitumen approaching Lorne. Everyone enjoyed a brisk ride along the coast and back up through the Otways to Deans Marsh with only brief shower that barely wet the visor.

The food was good at Martians and we were all relaxed until suddenly we were hit with a huge squall that felt like it was going to rip the tin roof off the rafters. Dust was flying everywhere, through the doors of the café knocking chairs over and sending everyone heading for cover! It ended as quickly as it arrived and as we looked out the window a miracle – good ole Trumps were still standing proud!
Some helmet damage for Pete was the only casualty we thought until Paul went to start the Thruxton! The clutch was jammed tight and there was no way the lever could be pulled in to disengage the gearbox. Something was badly wrong – but the bike hadn’t moved off its side stand!
After much debating Charlie’s business card was produced (Turn One Motorcycles) – who else could help in this situation on a Sunday afternoon?

A quick call to his mobile and Charlie gave Paul the advice he needed to get the bike back to Geelong. Everyone was well impressed with the service from Charlie and I think he’s just won over another few customers!

So that was it for 2005. Another great days riding with awesome company – we all look forward to an even more exciting 2006 starting with the trip at the end of February to the East Coast and Alpine region. Then who knows – Isle of Man TT races 100th anniversary trip in 2007 maybe!!

Might see you at the Geelong Xmas Toy Ride on Sunday 11th December 05

1 comment:

Shu Shu said...

Woohoo... first ride along the Gt Ocean Road under my own steam and certainly wont be the last. The new seal is smooth as a racetrack - can't wait for them to finish it. Should be just in time for the end of holiday season and a huge reduction in four wheeled traffic.